Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Camping Club: Season Opener

That's right folks! "The Camping Club" went camping this weekend for its Season Opener. We camped at Hurkey Creek Camp Ground which is in Garner Valley, about 10 minutes form Idyllwild. And let me tell you something...it was AWESOME!! AND, it was COLD! But, before I share more about the weekend it is necessary that the origin and foundational purposes of "The Camping Club" are explained. Last May two women left city life to go camping with friends in Joshua Tree. As they got "the heck out of Dodge" they were reminded of their need to leave cement city and be one with the dirt more often. They realized just how much camping ministered to their souls. And so, their conversation and dreams lead them to start "The Camping Club". My friend Rachel and I were those women, the dreamers who have now become the co-founders and co-facilitators of "The Camping Club". As co-founders & facilitators we agreed that our club needed to be established with purpose...we needed a mission statement and values and so here they are:



Mission Statement: As a camping club we seek to: Create space to adequately minister to the basic needs of our humanity.


Our 6 Values:
1) Food - Healthy & nostalgic.














For example: Tomatoes & S'mores




2) Beverages - H2O, alcohol (not in excess though), and warmth.

















For example: wine in a mug & hot tea




3) Natural - Keep it natural!
No need for make-up, showers, etc.




No make-up, no showers, didn't even brush our teeth...actually we did. :)









4) Rest - enough said.




















5) Movement - Both slow and active.
















6) Creation - All beauty speaks of Thee!















Oh...and our slogan is: "From dust we have come, to dust we will return"

Seriously, it can't get much better then this!













Nope, that isn't our camper...








This is our camper!

















Yummy S'Mores! In addition to the chocolate put some peanut butter on your graham and your s'mores will enter a whole new category of DYNAMIC!







Can't you tell by Rachel's face?












Discussing "The Camping Club" Values


















It was a pretty cold weekend. When we woke-up this morning there was ice in the tea kettle. And, I was told later that it was at least 29 degrees that morning...if not colder.
















Making eggs for our breakfast burritos.













If you've ever been camping you know that you run the risk of camping next to: the party animals, the family with constantly arguing children (of which I used to be a part of), or the loud music coming out of a small boombox campers, amongst others. Well, we definitely camped next to the "music playing", "booze drinking", "politic talking", "singing" and "loud" campers. I have a few video clips that capture a few of these things but they aren't downloading at the moment...so maybe later.

Don't know if you've noticed that Rachel and I are the only ones in the pictures but it just so happens that all those that were invited to be a part of "The Camping Club" were unable to come to the Season Opener. But, as you can tell Rachel and I had a GREAT time!

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Looks like a FAB-ulous time! I want in on the next one...:)

Anonymous said...

I seriously feel like I missed out big time. So glad you went!

Unknown said...

Dawn looks like you guys had a blast! How fun is that! You got to LOVE campin!

Anonymous said...

So I looked over your mission statement and values and think you have a great organization. how might one become a member? Does The Camping Club have exclusive membership? if it helps, i regularly dont comb my hair or wear makeup, and i know how to make a tin foil oven. Plus I can tell good stories around the fire, but I do get bad gas. Let me know.